There’s something indescribably romantic and enchanting about horses. Their combination of athleticism, grace and beauty makes them one of nature’s most captivating animals, and one that wins them admirers from all walks of life.
Not only are horses beautiful, but they also make wonderful pets. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort needed to care for one of these magnificent creatures, you’ll be rewarded with the love and affection of a lifelong companion.
There are myriad benefits to owning a horse, but we’ve listed five of the things we love the most about horse ownership below. Let us know if they’re some of your favourite things as well or whether we’ve missed anything important!
The 5 best things about owning a horse
- The freedom of riding. There’s something about the unbridled joy and freedom that horse riding provides which you simply cannot get from owning any other type of animal. Saddling up your horse for a gentle gallop on a cool spring morning really is one of the best things about owning a horse. The combination of the wind in your hair, the sun in the sky and the feeling of such a magnificent animal stretching out its muscles beneath you is truly remarkable. You don’t have to be setting any speed records to enjoy yourself – often the best moments are when you’re just cruising along at a steady, relaxing trot.
- Staying active. When winter arrives, the mercury takes a dive and it’s wet and miserable outside, getting off the couch (or even out of bed) can be a monumental struggle. But when you own a horse, there are so many reasons for you to get outside and get active. Why would you want to be stuck inside when you could be out riding or spending some quality time with your pet? Even grooming and feeding your horse provides the perfect excuse for you to get off the lounge and burn some calories.
- Meeting new friends. Owning a horse not only has physical advantages but also a wide range of social benefits. Training and riding a horse is great for building your self-confidence, while owning one of these magnificent creatures is a great way to get out and meet new people. There are riding lessons, horse and pony clubs, competitions and more, and they all provide the chance to form life-long friendships with people who share your passion for horses. To top it all off, several studies have shown that interacting with animals can lower your blood pressure and reduce stress – all of which is undoubtedly very good news.
- It makes you a better person. Looking after a horse isn’t easy. There’s expensive equipment to buy, health and dietary needs to be met, and exercise and training needs that must be fulfilled. Caring for a horse is a huge responsibility and one that shouldn’t be taken lightly, but it can also teach you so much more about yourself and how to put others first. Particularly for younger generations, owning a horse teaches responsibility, empathy and how to nurture and care for a living, breathing creature. In short, owning a horse teaches you life lessons that you won’t learn in any classroom.
- Companionship. This may be the last item on the list but it’s also the most important. All animal lovers are well aware of the unconditional love and support that only animals can provide – they don’t talk back, they don’t betray you, and they love nothing better than being right by your side at all times. And if you’ve never owned a horse before, rest assured that they make wonderful companions. If you give your horse or pony the attention and interaction he or she wants (and deserves), all the love you send your animal’s way will be returned many times over.
If you’re looking for a beautiful animal that allows you to get outside, get active and gain a companion for life, a horse could be your perfect pet.